Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sunday in Chi-town

This last Sunday, we were in Chicago for the whole day. It was an incredible time from being part of a growing inner city church and the youth event that night. Church was awesome. It was good to be a part of the body of Christ. Too often, when I get the chance to attend churches like this, I forget that all churches are not the same and will not look the same. There are different backgrounds, colors, ethnic groups, and styles. I was reminded that God is gathering together a people for himself from every tribe, tongue, and nation. God is not partial and he loves to save anyone. I was judgmental on the way some people looked. Am I any more special or spiritual than they are, probably NO? These people were alive and worshiped in the freedom of the Holy Spirit and it was so refreshing to see. God is working mightily in the people of Chicago and drawing many families and children to him. Praise the Lord.

I was so excited about the youth event when I was told a couple days before that one of my favorite Christian rappers, Tedashi, was going to be there(that's him and me backstage). He was a real neat guy and took the time out to talk to me for awhile. He was a real encouraging and down to earth. Humility preceded his every word and action. He said that he has to be careful not to put himself into a category where he is untouchable. I thought that was so awesome.

It was a great experience getting to hear him live. I had seen him once before at school, but never got the chance to meet him. I so enjoy his music and the music of his fellow rappers. It is Christ centered and full of solid biblical and theological truths. The group that he is apart of is called 116 clique. That made up that name from Romans 1:16. Their songs are more solid than most sermons that you hear today.

Thanks for reading.
Jaret

(Tedashi and I throwing the 116 sign)

4 comments:

Pastor Beau said...

my favorite quote from this blog post: "I was judgmental on the way some people looked. Am I any more special or spiritual than they are, probably NO?" hahaha I love the word "probably." hahahaha

JAret I love you man. Dude Tedashi looks like he could throw down some pizza at CiCi's, you know. By the way, does he ever rap about CiCi's? I love CiCi's. Especially the way everyone begrudgingly shouts "Welcome to CiCi's!" everytime you walk in the door.

Glad you're having fun.

Ask Josh if he's dispensational for me.

Anonymous said...

Did he play my favorite song, "Off Da Hook"? I'm glad he was down to earth with ya. So what is that "sign" you and him are throwing up? You can't post a pic and not discuss it.

Get Low!

Pastor Beau said...

more blogs pleeeeeease

Pastor Beau said...

holy no-blog batman